Image Map

Monday, January 12, 2015

The Dark Divine by Bree Despain

I was browsing my local library when I stumbled upon this book. I pulled it off of the shelf to read the description and suddenly became excited by its suspenseful plot.

General Plot:
The novel is centered around Grace Divine who comes back into contact with her childhood friend and love interest in the novel, Daniel. Despite her parents' and brother's warnings begging her to stop contacting him, Grace cannot help herself from trying to get closer to him. She recognizes the mysterious event that happened before between Daniel and her brother Jude which promptly led to Daniel's disappearance but she wonders what had caused it. As her relationship with Daniel grows, she learns about his secret and the wolf within him.

This novel did have a bit of a different take on werewolves which I did appreciate, however, the new ideas that the book had about being a wolf were not explained well enough for the reader to have an easy time following along.

The Dark Divine was suspenseful and hard to put down since the plot was so detailed and fast paced with little to no slow or boring parts.

I did like that bit of mystery that the book tries to include which made this novel so much more than a cheesy romance.

My main concern for this book is the lack of good characters. I love a main character with an easy to follow way of thinking. Unfortunately, Graze fell short of being the ideal heroine due to her lack of a genuine inner voice and emotion. Daniel and Jude were very frustrating characters but for different reasons. Jude was frustrating because he didn't grow at all as a character and was flat while Daniel was not relatable and confusing.

My Final Thoughts:
I did like this book quite a bit because it was a good read. Hopefully the following novels of the series will fix the issues that I had with the first one.

Now, I am not a big fan of the book trailer but maybe it will help you decide whether or not to read the book.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading comments so feel comfortable with sharing your opinion!