Image Map

Sunday, January 3, 2016

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz


I am so excited about reviewing this book which is why I waited for a ridiculously long time to finally review it. I know that this is a really bold statement to make but I strongly believe that this book is my favorite book of all time (like better than 1984 and The Scarlet Pimpernel). 

Before you start reading this book, just be aware of the powerful symbolism that the author uses such as the rain, dogs, birds and the desert.

General Plot Summary:
Two young boys, Aristotle and Dante, become friends after they meet at a swimming pool. The story follows their journey as they attempt to discover more about themselves and the world around them. Not only do they face death but they also face their feelings for each other.

I am not kidding when I say that this is my favorite coming-of-age novel in a very long time. The romance between the two boys is slow-burning and that is typically something that I find really frustrating. But this time, I really appreciate that I got the chance to see the depth of their friendship beforehand.

The overall tone of the novel was very authentic and easy to relate to. The chapters were short which is something that I really like. The plot was relatively fast-paced except for a brief period of time when Ari and Dante were separated.

The amazing characters were my favorite part of this book. Ari was the perfect person for Dante to be with (and vice versa). Dante is thoughtful and sensitive and Ari is brooding, quiet and angry. These were two really amazing characters and they made an even better couple.

Overall Rating:
5/5

Thanks for reading and please let me know if you've read this book as well!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a pretty good read. Is it at all similar to David Levithan's books?
    I look forward to reading more of your reviews :)
    Brooke | www.brookewrote.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments so feel comfortable with sharing your opinion!