Image Map

Friday, March 6, 2015

Double Ear Piercing

Ever since I got my ears pierced again, my friends, classmates and other people have asked questions about getting their own ears pierced. I know that when I was thinking about getting my ears pierced, I did a lot of resource online myself so I decided to write this post to answer the questions I was asked, or I wished I knew. If you are not interested in piercings, you are not obligated to read this post, but if you are interested in ear piercings, then I hope to help you. I waited until the healing period ended to write this post.

Here are some common questions that I have had and that I have been asked:

How much did it hurt?

I am a big baby. I cry at the thought of flu shots but since I really really wanted it, I guess I forgot about the pain because of all the adrenaline. If you really want it, it probably won't hurt. But then again it depends on who does it and with what. It hurt about a 2 or 3 out of 10 but the soreness after was about a 4 out of ten.

How should I get it done? Gun or needle?

I wanted to use a needle but eventually used a gun because that is how I got my first piercing and the other place that used a needle was too far away. For a lobe piercing, I think I gun should be fine but other parts of the ear shouldn't be done that way. In the end, it is a personal preference if a gun or needle should be used. Just know that a gun comes with some cons (not as clean, possible scar tissue forming, ear trauma).

What material should I use first?

Talking about this with a piercer is probably best unless you know how sensitive your skin is. Sterling silver can be used to pierce but not for sensitive ears. Gold, white gold and other precious metals are your best bet for a first time piercing.


How much did it cost?

Around $45 but I have seen the prices range from anywhere from $35 to $95 it just depends on the method the piercer uses and where you get it done. I got mine done at Claire's. Despite the negative things I've heard about Claire's, I had a pretty good experience.

How do you clean it?

Claire's gave me a cleaning solution and I used cotton balls to clean it three times a day for the first week. Then two times a week for the next two weeks. Once a week for a week then whenever I felt I needed to. This is not recommended and you should clean it three times a day for six weeks but I very rarely ever touched it or did anything to irritate it so I slowly stopped.

Can you get an infection?

Yes, you can get an infection but if you follow the "don't touch the piercing unless you are cleaning", "don't sleep on it", "don't put anything on it", and "wash regularly", you should be completely fine. Lobe piercings, in my experience, don't get infected often but there is always the chance.

What if you don't like it?

Lobe piercings don't usually scar much. Needles scar less than guns. But the worst that could happen if you decide you hate it and take it out is that a small scar is left behind.

Why did you get it?

I really liked the way it looked but more than that, it was a way for me feeling empowered. I feel like it was me taking charge of my body and what I did with it. Convincing my parents was hard as showing I was responsible had not worked out (I've been trying to convince them to let me get it since August of last year) so I went to the bugging method. I am not proud of bugging them but I had tried everything else. The piercing process itself was very empowering for me but that does not mean that you need to get a piercing to feel confident, but that that was what happened to me.


I hope this helps anyone who was thinking about getting lobe piercings but were unsure. I will answer any questions that you ask but just know that my knowledge is primarily on lobe piercings and slightly there on cartilage.

1 comment:

  1. Your ear piercings are looking really cool! I personally have four on one ear and just one on the other side. I think it's fun to look at other people's ear piercings and how they styled it! Great post! Oh and needles just sounds terrifying!! Haha!- Thank you for the lovely comment you left on my blog! Means allot, Jade x

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments so feel comfortable with sharing your opinion!