Image Map

Sunday, February 15, 2015

Things All Aspiring Journalists Have Had to Hear Before

As an aspiring journalist myself, I have to hear a lot of ridiculous ideas and misconceptions about what it's like to be a journalist. I thought it would be best to address some of the ones that I find funny, mildly annoying and amusing.

No one reads the newspaper anymore. All my news come from the internet.



Granted, the internet is one of the primary sources of news nowadays but online news is still very much journalism. Journalism can come in more forms than just the daily newspaper.


Can you really make money with that?




Look, journalists don't make as much money as most doctors, engineers and lawyers do but most journalists can definitely make enough money to live comfortably.


Isn't it boring? Just sitting there and writing?




Well it would be, if that's all that journalists did. Traveling, talking to interesting people, and going to exciting events all are a part of journalism.


That must be easy.



Well, why don't you try it out? Just try managing interviews, writing, and editing within very strict deadlines. No job is ever "easy."

Are there even any famous journalists?

Oh...


Umm...


Yeah.


I mean... I guess there are a "few." Winfrey, Colbert, Stewart and Cooper are only some of the famous journalists you will find.

And now for the most ridiculous, common and flat-out hilarious comment of all:


I heard that journalism is dying.



Um... no. Journalism is far from dying. People will always need to hear about the news and having people to report on it is crucial.

Let me know if there are anymore ridiculously funny things that you have heard by being an aspiring journalist.

5 comments:

  1. My mum once told me they make no money at all! She tells lies just look at Oprah haha.
    Great post love the gifs!!!
    Another Teen On The Web

    ReplyDelete
  2. this made me chuckle! good with with all things journalism! x

    http://the-dress-diaries.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I've been waiting for someone to write about this!!!
    I absolutely hate it when those that don't even know what journalism actually is, comment on my life decisions. I was at a funeral a month ago and a random old lady asked me what I'm going to study and I told her that I want to be a journalist. She almost started crying because it's "such a horrible profession with no future" and that I should immediately choose something else, and I just thought to myself "Who the heck are you?? I don't even know you!"
    So I completely know what you mean. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand your frustrations. I'm so sorry that you had to have that experience. Some people have made faces when I have mentioned what I wanted to do in the future while others say that I should have a "backup plan" in case it "doesn't work out." Well, good luck with your journalism studies!

      Delete

I love reading comments so feel comfortable with sharing your opinion!