Image Map

Thursday, December 25, 2014

Girl Online By Zoella & Her Ghostwriter


Zoella explains the "quitting the internet" rumours

I have never been a huge fan of Zoella (also known as Zoe Sugg) but I did and still do respect her as a blogger and Youtuber.

As many already know, Zoella released her first novel titled Girl Online and I just had the chance to read it and I can say that I genuinely loved it. I thought it was an excellent novel with a great premise and relatable characters. Throughout the novel, the reader could pick up on a few "Zoella" references from the fairy lights to the bath bombs.However, I should point out  that after Noah's big secret was revealed, the book became predictable. And the panic attacks that Penny faced, were not as descriptive as I would have expected since I assumed that the novel wanted to show just how serious that panic attacks can be and describing them in detail would have helped raise awareness. But overall, I really liked it and couldn't put it down.

The fact that the novel is ghostwritten does not shock me whatsoever. Writing an entire novel in less than two months is difficult for even full-time writer, much less a social media icon. Multiple celebrities have released novels that were written by someone else so Zoella had nothing to be ashamed of.

Not everyone can be a writer but that doesn't mean that not everyone can have great ideas that deserve to be shared with the world, which is exactly what she had. Bringing anxiety more attention is definitely important and sometimes someone needs to be there to put the ideas into words. Ghostwriting isn't a new concept nor is it something that should be hidden away.

Overall, I applaud Siobhan Curham (whom I think deserves more credit than she got) for bringing to life such a wonderful story and Zoella for thinking of it. I am not at all disappointed about the novel being ghostwritten but rather that Zoella kept trying to pretend that it isn't and instead of admitting it, has chosen to pretend it never happened. Zoella should be proud that her message is spreading so quickly with the help of a ghostwriter not upset.

I continue to support Zoella and wish her the best and hopefully, in the future, she will be a bit more honest with her fans.

Please feel free to leave any comments that you have about the novel, ghostwriter or Zoella since I would love to read them. Do you think she was justified in using a ghostwriter or not? Should she have been more transparent about the who really wrote it?

5 comments:

  1. Ever since I found out that she was releasing a novel I decided that I have to read it, but sadly that hasn't happenned.

    sparklydaydreamer.blogspot.com

    XOXO, Susy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the disappointment with the ghost writing thing is more towards Zoe's attitude towards it rather than it actually happening in the first place. I really can't believe she's not even mentioned it since! (unless she's done it very covertly)
    Megan x
    London Callings

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was like the biggest fan of Zoe, but I really don't like the fact that the book is ghostwritten. Ever since I've found out I kind of lost interest to watch her vlogs/ videos/ read her blog. :)

    Sara Wallflower

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that she should have given the ghost writer a lot more credit. Infact i didn't even realise that the book was ghostwritten until I read this post which I think is poor of Zoe, great post anyway :) xx

    emlaff.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome post. I have always been a fan of Zoe but I must admit that finding out she had a ghostwriter disappointed me. I agree that she should have been more upfront about the whole situation, and given credit to those who deserve credit.
    Putting all of that aside, do you think the book is worth reading?

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments so feel comfortable with sharing your opinion!