Image Map

Thursday, July 30, 2015

How to Keep a Journal

As someone who has tried countless times to keep an up-to-date journal and failed up until a few months ago, I decided to give out some suggestions to those who would like to keep a journal but just can't keep up with it.

My current journal has been up-to-date since March which would make it the longest running journal I've owned so far. I would have loved a post like this before because I desperately wanted a journal but I struggled to know what to write in it and how to remember to write in it.

If you haven't thought about keeping a journal, you should definitely consider it. A journal is just like a blog but for yourself (or close friends and family if you choose to share it) and I personally love to look back at my previous entries. One day, you might like to revisit some of the memories that you kept in your journal.

Here are some tips I collected (through a lot of trial and error) and used to keep this journal updated and engaging:

1) Get a cute journal/notebook/steno:

If you're a stationary fanatic like me, the cuter and better quality journal you get, the more likely you are to use it. You can get cute journals from almost anywhere: dollar stores, office supply stores, or bookstores. I'm sure etsy has some great options for journals too. The one below is from Papyrus.


2) Choose what to write about:

Possible topics include: dreams, fitness, nutrition, everyday life, events, to-do lists, and blog posts. My journal is a bit of all of these but primarily revolves around day-to-day events.

3) Carry it around with you:

I have often thought "I should write about that" then completely forgotten about it the second I came home and pulled out my journal. Also, this way, you can write in your journal when you're waiting around instead of going on your phone. Just don't lost it. The one below is from ModCloth.


4) Know your writing goals and stick with them:

Know how much you want to write, how often you want to write, and for how long you want to write. My goal is at least a page twice a week for at least fifteen minutes per sitting (not including lists). Set aside time for journaling! Don't wait for time to come to you because you know you'll probably get caught up in a book or show if you don't strictly set aside enough time (I certainly have).

5) Make it like a scrapbook:

As a journalist, I like to incorporate newspaper clippings of recent events into my journal. I also include fortunes from fortune cookies and pressed flowers. I hate looking at a text dump (although I know quite a few people who love it). If filling up your journal with meaningful mementos makes it more fun to look back on, go for it!

6) It is never too late to keep journaling:

Whenever I forget to write in my former journals for more than a week, I say that it's too late to go back to it and dismiss it. I admit that there were times with my current journal that I went without writing for a week but instead of feeling ashamed and disheartened, I made up to it but writing extra long entries. Doing for large periods of time without writing can be good and reflects how busy your life was during that period of time. The below journal is from Forever 21.


I hope those tips helped you! Tell me about your journals and if you were able to keep up with them.


9 comments:

  1. Hiya!

    I wonder if you remember me...:):)
    This post is so so great, I have been wanting to keep a journal for ages!

    Kate xo
    www.becomingkate.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I remember you! Good luck with keeping a journal!

      Delete
  2. I've tried on and off with keeping a journal but Im thinking of buying one and starting again, but I think I want to try keeping a visual journal but part of me also wants a normal journal too! These are good tips though, thanks for sharing! :)x
    Libby-Jade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! If I were you, I would keep a visual AND normal journal. I love multiple journals! Good luck!

      Delete
  3. I've tried journaling before and I got out of the habit. These are some good tips. I may take it up again. :)

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I just started keeping a journal myself, and these are some really good tips. Also, I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award :)
    Love your blog design, btw.

    http://wanderingthroughlifex.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and nominating me! Good luck with your journal!

      Delete
  5. I used to keep a journal (and actually filled up three chunky books!) but stopped quite a while ago. I wonder whether I might find life a little happier if I started again!
    Megan x
    London Callings

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments so feel comfortable with sharing your opinion!