Image Map

Sunday, April 26, 2015

These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner


This book caught my eye a little while ago and not only because the cover is absolutely gorgeous. I have seen it recommended so many times that I could not resist checking it out.

The genre is a very familiar one: science fiction and fantasy with a touch of romance. And the authors blend all three of those aspects together seamlessly. 

The general plot of the novel surrounded the experiences of Lilac, the richest girl in the universe, and Tarver, a famous soldier who comes from a simple household. The two meet and within a few days they crash out of hyperspace in their spaceliner. They end up on an unknown and seemingly uninhabited planet where they experience hallucinations that have only one conclusion: they are not there alone.

My favorite part of this novel by far is the incredible setting and time period. I loved the new technology with the old-timey social conduct. The glamorous clothing and "balls and ball gowns" lifestyle is a great cause of my envy. The setting perfectly embodies everything that I think that science fiction should be.

Another major plus in this book were the characters. Lilac is a female icon. She is strong, beautiful, determined, and compassionate while still being smart and resourceful. Tarver is brave, thoughtful and passionate. And it was frustrating it took them such a long time to realize that they loved each other.

The only thing I really hate about this book is that it's over. But I know that they return as minor characters in the second novel, This Shattered World, which I will definitely be reading.

2 comments:

  1. I listened to this on audiobook a few months ago and found myself creating mindless tasks so I could keep listening! It was really good. The ending was satisfying, although I'm annoyed their story doesn't continue.

    I really liked your review; it was short and to the point:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah I love the sound of this book, and the sci fi setting, I'll have to check it out!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments so feel comfortable with sharing your opinion!